Now is the time to get your website working for you
Do you remember the million dollar homepage? A student was trying to think of ways of raising enough funds to see him through university to save him from getting a part-time job that would interfere with the time needed to carry out his studies. He envisioned a web page with an area 1000 by 1000 pixels in size. He then intended to sell each pixel for a dollar.
The buyer could, for example, buy an area of 10 by 10 pixels for a hundred dollars and they would have a permanent advert for their business.
What a clever idea - but it was a one time idea
If you go to the million dollar homepage you will see all the original adverts are still there. However, many of those links are now broken. SO many of the adverts were for other pixel selling websites. You see, when the success of his idea was realised, many people tried to jump on the bandwagon. They thought that selling pixels on websites had taken off and they wanted in on the action.
However, they were definitely wrong. Alex Tew's idea worked because it was new and unique. The act of buying pixels on any old website is just ridiculous. Buying them from the million dollar homepage made perfect sense because it was a unique idea that had captured the imagination of the Internet public. It is an historic website and there are therefore enough visitors to justify the price of one dollar per pixel.
Being second is the same as being last
So many of us who run our own businesses spend too much time trying to run the business and we forget about the important aspects of marketing in general and our websites in particular.
Your website is the window through which the public sees your business and its importance can not be over-stated. It is something which you should cherish and update on a regular basis. Try thinking of new ideas and information to put on there.
I am not suggesting you might come up with an idea as unique as the million dollar homepage but I am suggesting that by constantly updating your website you will be doing things before your competitors. This time round YOU will be the first and that is how you will separate yourself from the competition.
- Website Design Nottingham - What makes a great Business Website design?
- Design Websites For Your Customers, Not For You
- Five Reasons You Should Not Design Your Own Website in Dreamweaver
- Web Design Nottingham - How to get a business online on the Internet
- Getting Your Website Onto Google
- Website Design Nottingham and Browser Choice
- Web Design Nottingham - Search Engine Optimisation
- The New EU Cookie Law
- Healthy Web Design in Nottingham
- Get Your Website Working For You Today
- Web Design Nottingham - Designing a website
- My Email Isn't Working
- How to protect your Small Business and your Small Business Website
- HTML5 Fast Becoming Popular
- Small Business Websites and Browser Choice
- Small Business Website Designs and Browser Wars
- How Do I Get My Website Visitors' Emails?
- Evaluate the true cost of your website
- Bespoke Web Design - the greatest Image Preview Ever
- 5 Secrets to a Great Home Page